Mark Carman is a corporate transaction lawyer. He advises clients on mergers and acquisitions; private equity and venture capital transactions; debt transactions; real estate transactions; private securities offerings; investment fund formation; and various other business transaction matters.
Mark is listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, is rated by Super Lawyers, has been named a member of the Utah Legal Elite by Utah Business Magazine for numerous years, and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindalle-Hubbell.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mark practiced as a certified public accountant.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Quality Linen & Towel Supply Co. in the sale of Quality Linen to Unifirst Corporation (NYSE: UNF)
- Represented Juxta Labs, Inc. in the sale of Juxta Labs’ Yearbook application business to Classmates.com
- Represented Symbii Health in the sell of Symbii Health to Ensign Group (NASDAQ: ENSG)
- Represented Chums, Inc. in the acquisition of Chisco, Inc.
- Represented Jensen Oil Co. in connection with the sale of Jensen Oil Co. to Kellerstrass Enterprises Inc.
- Represented United Mergers & Acquisitions Consultants, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Reynolds Brothers Corporation by Staker Parson Companies
- Represented United Mergers & Acquisitions Consultants, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Burdick Paving by Staker Parson Companies
- Represented Metro, Inc. (dba Metro Protective Agency) in the sale of Metro assets to Pacific National Security West, Inc.
- Represented Tibro Medical in connection with the sale of Tibro Medical to Silver Peak Partners, LLC
- Represented Aamco Medical in connection with the sale of Aamco Medical to Silver Peak Partners, LLC
- Represented Intermountain Drilling Supply, Inc. in the sale of a majority equity interest to Silver Peak Partners, LLC
- Represented Vehicle Care Systems, Inc. in the sale of Vehicle Care Systems, Inc. assets to VCS, LLC
- Represented sellers in the sale of a majority interest in B & G Roust-A-Bout Service, Inc. to One Eighty Capital
- Represented the owners of various Utah Sonic drive-in franchise locations in the sale of those businesses
- Represented Lifelink Corporation in the acquisition of Lifelink Corporation by Ebix, Inc.
- Represented Gorge Rock Products, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Layos, Inc.
- Represented Valley Glass, Inc. in the spin-off of its Boise location
- Represented JD Investments of Utah LLC in the acquisition of Newsletters Ink Corp.
- Represented both buyers and sellers in numerous other merger and acquisitions transactions for large and small companies
Private Equity, Venture Capital, Angel Investment, and Other Finance Transactions
- Represented Cherokee & Walker and Red Bridge Capital in various private equity and debt transactions
- Represented Dow Medical Group in the sale of a 50% interest in Orthopedic Specialty Finance Group LLC
- Represented Juxta Labs, Inc. in an investment into Juxta Labs by Kickstart Seed Fund, L.P.
- Represented DW Healthcare Partners L.P. in the acquisition of a controlling interest in Genesis Technology Partners LLC.
- Represented Simpliphones Inc. in various private placement transactions
- Represented Lumiport LLC in various private placement transactions
- Represented other companies and investors in various other entrepreneurial investment transactions
Real Estate Transactions
- Represented Centrepointe Properties, LLC in connection with the lease of a new build-to-suit mixed-use building to Beijer Electronics, Inc.
- Represented Portfolio Investments in connection with various REIT financing transactions
- Represented Holladay Gardens, LLC in connection with various matters related to a nine-unit condominium project
- Represented Cherokee & Walker and Red Bridge Capital in connection with various real estate-backed financing transactions
- Represented Portfolio Charter Investments in connection with various charter school development projects
- Represented various other real estate clients in connection with acquisition, leasing, and financing transactions
- Represented J&A Capital Investment LLC in the formation of J&A Capital Opportunities Fund, LLC
- Represented Hawkins Capital Partners, L.L.C. in the formation of Hawkins Capital Fund, L.P.
- Represented Reference Capital Management, LLC in the formation of Sustainability Investment Fund 2008, LP
- Represented Northwest Asset Group LLC in the formation of Northwest Equity Fund I, L.P.
Investment Banking Transactions
- Represented D.A. Davidson & Co. as underwriter for the secondary offering of shares of Perini Corporation by Tutor-Saliba Corporation.
- Represented Paulson Investment Company as underwriter for public offering by Q Comm International, Inc.
- Represented Paulson Investment Company as underwriter for public offering by Path 1 Network Technologies Inc.
- Represented Paulson Investment Company as underwriter for public offering by I-Sector Corporation
- Represented Paulson Investment Company as underwriter for the initial public offering by Lumera Corporation
Awards and Recognition
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America©
- Mountain States Rising Star by Super Lawyers
- Utah Legal Elite by Utah Business Magazine for various years
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindalle-Hubbell
Education and Prior Experience
- Certified Public Accountant, State of Utah, 1999-2007
- Attorney, Stoel Rives LLP, Corporate Group, Salt Lake City, 2001-2009
- Co-Founder and CEO (and later CFO) of Symbii Home Health, which was sold to Ensign Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: ENSG)
- General Manager of Alert Cellular, a mobile phone sales organization in Utah, Idaho, and Washington
- Certified Public Accountant, Bybee & Child, CPAs
- S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah, J.D., 2001; Order of the Coif; Executive Editor, Utah Law Review
- University of Utah, B.A., 1993, Accounting
- “Five Mistakes to Avoid When Raising Capital in Utah, Connect Magazine (July 2006), reprinted in The Enterprise (February 11-17,2008);
- “New Sarbanes-Oxley Act Rules Regarding the Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures”, The Journal Entry, April 2003;
- “When Should Your Client Consider Getting a Fairness Opinion?”, The Journal Entry, October 2002.